Friday, September 05, 2008

THE NEW AND THE OLD


I really don’t remember it happening. One day I was in college, Joe Cool, and now: Joe Old!

How do these things happen?

Getting older is no fun after you reach 50. Then things start to happen. Things go bump in the night, mainly my sleep, and foods become your mortal enemy. Exercise is your tormentor, and your spouse, your soul mate, reminds YOU, that you are getting old. She goes off to the playground, I guess.

You watch people dancing and you say: “Oh, I can do that!” Then you try to get up to do it, but just about get up! One day a contemporary is moving about, the next day gone to the after-life. Makes me feel wonderful. Your kids make fun of you for getting old, but little do they realize they are old to others already.

I recall my conversations being about buying property, investments, raising a family and careers. Then we went on to our children’s schools, taxes, and college tuition and now, sadly it is about medication, and arthritis. And, do you have a will? The question: “How are you feeling?’ when asked of you becomes reality, not rhetoric or politeness.

Saturdays on a ball field, playing, then one day watching my sons, then watching on the TV. My how they’ve grown, my, have I’ve grown old!

Don’t feel sorry for me. I decided to grip life by the lapels, and enjoy my life. From where I’m sitting, I should be happy that I’m alive, but not surprised. But I am. We all are. We know that tomorrow is theory, not fact, because we don’t know what it will bring.

One of the best ways to live life is to laugh at you first. When you can’t laugh anymore because you used up all your material, laugh at your surrounding. And what is it about you that you can laugh at? You can laugh at your heritage, your family, your outlook on life, even your religion, and most of all, YOU.

Always remember this: I like you; I think you have real value to me as a person. If I can interact with you in any way, my life is enriched. It is just a fact. You have the harder job; you have to like me. I hope I can measure up.

While engaged to be married, TLW gave me a card; I’ve kept the sentiment in my heart all these years. It goes simply: “Come grow old with me, the best is yet to be.”

No comments: