Monday, September 01, 2008

TLW MEETS ITALIANS!


It was a Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. I had been dating TLW (The Little Woman) for a while, and was falling head over heels in love. I know it sounds hokey, but it is the truth.

In our time together, I learned that she had never eaten lobster, so our first date was for a lobster dinner. The other thing TLW had never experienced was my four sisters. An Italian had married into her family, and another was about to, but TLW never met the Italian covenant at home.

That Friday morning dawned grey and cloudy, as I picked her up for breakfast. We went to a diner in Sayville and I asked her if she would join me for dinner at my house. I realized that the potential was there for her not getting a word in edge wise, since she didn’t talk with her hands.

The table was stocked with the leftovers from the day before, and the whole family present, including my four sisters. Stocked with food that tasted even better the next day, and Mom’s Italian turkey stuffing was ready for another test drive. I couldn’t wait for TLW to taste it.

To make a long story short, she got lost in the crowd! Yes, “Miss Manning” was just like one of them! I NOW HAD FIVE SISTERS? No, thank God, but she was immediately assimilated into the sisterhood. There was even some advice on how to deal with me! (The witches.)

After dinner, we went somewhere, and I asked her to marry me. The next morning, Mom said; “What a nice lady, she is just like your sisters!” “In spite of that Ma, we are getting married.”

Of course, she never really speaks with her hands, so she just listens when we get together with my family. But boy, can she cook! Just as good a Mom and my other sisters, the Sunday sauce is made like she was a Napolitano born there. Any every Friday night we must have pizza. TLW, beautiful, smart, and a great cook who loves Italian food!

I’m pretty lucky. And, by the way, you should try her Italian stuffing.

No comments: