Tuesday, October 21, 2008

BACK HOME, AGAIN.


After the wedding of my nephew and niece David and Kimberly Harrow, off I went to Albany NY to attend the NYSARC annual fall convention. Instead of using the dreaded airlines, I choose to drive up with the President of the Board of Directors (Fred) for three hours.

Upon arrival at the Crown Plaza Hotel on State Street, Fred and I checked in and he went off to a meeting. I didn’t have a meeting scheduled until later that afternoon and decided to get something to eat. I checked the weather from my window and it was raining steadily. Not having an umbrella, I pinpointed where I thought the sandwich place was when I was in Albany last October. Of I go, walking than breaking into a run! Coming down at the rate of 12 gallons an hour, I reached where I thought the place was. IT WAS GONE! I look up the street and see a Quiznos. Now I am running at blinding speed. That is for an old guy with a limp! In I go, my head is soaked, as is my shirt, and my pants and shoes. I, dear reader, am drenched!

Self consciously, I entered the sandwich shop. People stop to stare at me. The fellow behind the counter asked me if I want cheese on my chicken!

“Huh? Cheese on my chicken? I didn’t order chicken!”

Quiznos man: “Yes, but you were about to.”

“What?”

I look down at my shirt and my nametag is a black pouch, windows with my name on one side and on the other side with the meal ticket I stored there for the Gala dinner for the next night. The ticket was yellow and the word in large letters showing through the pocket window said, “CHICKEN”!

I’m home now, finally, the wedding is over, the three-day convention is over, my reputation is over, at least in Albany. There I’m known as: “Chicken”!

Please remember my pals Joan and Anita

No comments: