Tuesday, October 14, 2008

FROM A STRANGER GROWS A FRIEND


It was Sunday morning in Del Ray, Florida. TLW (The Little Woman) and me got up early to enjoy a cup of coffee at this wonderful old hotel of which I write later about. It has an old elevator that requires an operator, who wasn’t present about six in the morning.

Down the old staircase we went, with me wearing my DelBloggolo T-shirt that #1 Son had made for me. At the end of the first flight was a woman in her PJ’s and wearing a robe and a smile, heading up the staircase. We all stopped, TLW after passing the woman, and me following from the top of the staircase. We all exchanged greetings for the hour, and the woman said to TLW: “Are you TLW?” Now mind you, my shirt says: “DelBloggolo, Editor-In-Chief”!

I don’t mind being overlooked sometimes, but really. “Are you TLW?” It turns out the lovely lady is, named Nancy, and is a big fan of the blog! I’ll overlook the overlook for any fan. Better still, she was the sister of one of my Brother-in-Laws, a real gentleman named Don.

We were all attending a wedding for my older sister Joanne’s first born and only son: David. Nancy was like finding a million dollars during the Great Depression! She was seated at the table with my Mom who is 90 and her baby sister, my Aunt Marie who is 86. I don’t think Nancy could be a day over 30. This wonderful sparkling lady, sat with two older people and entertained them. If that wasn’t enough, she was helping Mom get around, assisting her under one arm like it was her own Mom she was attending to!

One of the things that makes her special, not because she IS a fan of the blog, but she has the very qualities that TLW possesses. All three sisters of mine fell in love with her, and if you ask me, we should all adopt her into the family.

We do have Don, so why not make it even more special. A great gal, a great heart, and MSF (My Special Friend), Nancy.

Thanks Nancy from all Moms kids.

Please remember my friends Joan and Anita.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Joe,
We couldn't agree more with the new treasure we have found in getting to know Nancy! I totally agree, adoption is absolutely the only way to go! What a sweetheart!
Fran

Unknown said...

Joe, I have been speechless since I read your oh, so lovely words . You and TLW :-) and ALL your family charmed me, made me feel so welcome and truly have become my friends. It is rare to feel so comfortable so quickly but I should have known from knowing Joanne and hearing (and reading) about you all for the last few years that you would feel like family right away. Thank you, thank you ,thank you...I really look forward to the next time and I am SO honored to be MSP!!!
Love to all my new friends and family, Nancy
PS You write REALLY well!!