Friday, October 24, 2008

IS THERE SUCH A THING AS NORMALCY?


Early this morning, I drove out the AHRC Suffolk Intermediate Care Facility, (ICF), where my daughter Ellen, resides. Fighting the early morning commute, I arrived about 7:30 am and immediately went to the core of the building where the nurse’s station is located. The reason is my daughter is having her problems.

She has developed a club like foot, that she is unsteady is placing when she walks. She also has a persistent cough that she’s had for over a month and a half. Today I was informed that she has a 6 mm obstruction or growth on her right middle lobe of her lung!

The Doctor will do two scans: one of her brain, and a second of her lung. Ellen will be under anesthesia, and the whole thing will be done on Thursday and Friday.

TLW (The Little Woman) and me are worried. Driving over to the ICF, I wondered if I would get there in time to speak to anyone about this. When I got there, I found the head nurse and the Physician’s Assistant both going over her file at 7:30 in the morning!

I kept remembering that March morning back in 1972, when TLW called me at my office to tell me that she was being sent to the hospital to have our first child, who happened to be Ellen. I remember my new daughter coming out of the delivery room at the hospital and me seeing her for the first time as I was heading up to the waiting room. Little Ellen was being transferred to the baby room, as the elevator doors opened, and I caught a glimpse while on the elevator.

Then all the times since, when she was ill, or went to a school, a special event or a celebration, I was there. She seems to define my life. She is my past and my future. She has painted my heart with love, and when I see her, her sweet little face is all I can focus on. Lovingly she smiles, happy to see her old man. She has never made me feel like I let her down, or that I caused her any grief. Pure and simple love is a great thing to share with your child.

I think a Father is often forgotten, especially when Mom is around, and that is naturally so, and normal. But being second best doesn’t stop me from doing whatever I can for my children. I will sacrifice anything including my self-respect for them. No amount of money or time spent is ever enough. Just ask TLW.

Just a moment to remember to say a small prayer for my pals Joan and Anita, could make a difference in their lives, and you could be responsible.

No comments: