Monday, October 06, 2008

NO LIGHTS, WHEELS OR FANCY LACES.


What you see is a part of my standard everyday uniform as a kid. The object of my affection is called US Keds sneakers. They weren’t tennis shoes; they weren’t walking shoes. They didn’t light up when you walked, and no one indorsed his own brand.

Along with the footwear was a pair of dungarees, there where no such things as jeans. You wore a polo shirt over you t-shirt, and you were set for a day in the street with your friends!

Thanks to my buddy Jim Pantelano, (Thanks a million Jim) once again. From my September 24th comments Jim wrote; “On summer days we hit the street at 8 am in regulation uniform: dungarees (not jeans) and Keds sneakers.”

When my boys were growing up, I asked the older guy if he had a pair of shoes. He looked confused, and TLW (The Little Woman) said: “No”. I was amazed!

I owned one pair of shoes for school and church, and sneakers that I wore out constantly. They made your feet sweat a lot, but they were what the pro basketball players wore. You didn’t have fancy athletic socks; you wore your everyday socks in them.

I don’t recall Mom ever washing the things, she threw them out and a new pair were gotten for about $10.

The best part of all this growing up was there was no designer to profit by the kids trying to wear what was the latest or coolest. No peer pressure.

Please try to remember my pals Joan and Anita.

Thanks,

No comments: