Sunday, October 12, 2008

THAT CERTAIN LOOK

Every time I go to the library, I go to this particular room. The room has about 10 to 12 large tables that have both plug-ins for power and Internet connections. I usually sit at the first available table that is free. I open my laptop and begin working on my novel. I go there, as a way of disciplining myself, almost like a job, in which to finish this project. After 36 chapters, I’m about three quarters of the way through.

Each and every time I’ve been to the library, I see this gentleman who is about mid fifties, in the same spot, same table, day after day. His opened Mac laptop is sitting in front of him, and he is peering into it in deep concentration. He sports a salt and pepper beard, somewhat like mine, and he is slightly overweight. His dress is very casual, shorts, a t-shirt and sneakers.

As I begin to open up for business, I often wonder what he does on that laptop. Is he a writer, or researcher, or maybe a college professor? He could be an analyzer of cultural trends or a scientist. Whatever he is, he looks like he’s doing important work. I feel somewhat inadequate writing my novel near such “industrialist” (is there such a word?) presence!

Finally, last week, I could stand the curiosity no longer! I decided to go to the men’s room and cast a peek over his shoulder, on the way. Casually I rose from my chair, and slowly sauntered over to his table from behind him. As I approached, I peeked into his screen, and as I got closer, I began to discern what looked like a graph of some sort, and he was pecking on his keys, carefully! Now my curiosity was at its apex, as I honed in on him.

It seems everyday, that man sits there. And every day I check on his body of work, sitting in that same spot, daily, for hours on end. He is indeed a dedicated individual, and his game is –Sudoku!

Please remember my pals Anita and Joan.

No comments: