Friday, November 28, 2008

BLACK FRIDAY!

Traditionally, the day after Thanksgiving is for shoppers. Actually, it is for lovers’!

It was 38 years ago, in my brand new Camaro, in which I proposed to TLW (The Little Woman). I brought her home to Mom and the covenant of four sisters for our traditional after Thanksgiving leftovers dinner, (Tasted even better the second day!)

I knew I was going to ask her, but didn’t think she would say: “Yes”. The stars were on my side that night. I wanted to see if she would mix well with the ‘trouble-makers’, and left feeling like she belonged to that family more than I did!

We met in July, started dating soon after and I proposed in November, whirlwind, if I do say so.

But it is also a dark day in our lives. In 1980, we took our son Joseph, a year and a half old to a neurologist to check out his seizures, only to start the hard process of hospitalization and his eventual death in January, just shy of his second birthday.

So today is a bittersweet day for me. It is a day that epitomizes life itself. It makes us happy to see the sun, with a weary eye on the night.

Please remember my pals: Joan and DD, and all those that suffer and need our prayers.

1 comment:

Fran said...

It was really great being able to have Ellen for Thanksgiving dinner. It has been a long time since you and TLW have been able to experience that. That is a lot to be thankful for. I feel blessed to be a part of our family.