Sunday, December 21, 2008

POWITANIE DO STANU CONNECTICUT!

We all know one. Someone who loves to laugh, laughs vigorously, and has a million of them. I speak of course of the Polish Prince of Connecticut, sometimes referred to as: “Little Poland.” His name is “Tom”, proud grandfather of three that he knows of, three children and the wonderful husband of my sister Fran for almost 40 years!

Driving his black and red Ford, he showed up one day at the door of my parents’ house. I answered and immediately showed him where the garden tools were kept. In his eagerness to make conversation, and duck inside while the cops drove by, he said he was here for Fran.

“Oh, did she hire you?”
“No, I’m Tom from Connecticut.”
“Oh, YOU’RE the poor guy!”

So, some 40 years later and half dozen homes after, I write about Tom. With a heavy heart and much sympathy, he has stayed the course, a loyal and trusting husband. Can’t ask for more than that from a brother-in-law!

The only problem with Tom was he was always loaded with Italian Jokes. I asked him once if he knew any Polish jokes, and answered that there were none.

At least once a week I get email with an attachment and in the subject, area is one word: “Enjoy!”

Tom was the first introduction to Connecticut that I ever had. Preferring to stay within the United States, no one in our family really ventured into Ct., until Fran went away to college.

I remember it like it was yesterday as we drove on the I-95 toward Ct. There to greet us was a huge sign that said:
“Powitanie do Stanu Connecticut!” or “Welcome to Connecticut!” There was a smaller sign under that one that read:
“DWA DLA JED *KIELBASA* SPRZEDAŻ LIKWIDACJI, KAŻDA RZECZ MUSI UDAWAĆ SIĘ!” Translation: TWO FOR ONE KIELBASA LIQUIDATION SALE, EVERY THING MUST GO!

Tom is a retired history teacher, having spent a very successful career teaching high school about the past, and traveling all over the world while doing so with special grants. He is also my fact checkers while my novel is being written. He has been immeasurably helpful in doing so.

To Tom:
SZCZĘŚLIWY DZIEŃ URODZENIA, *THOMAS* *DZICEK*!
Or as the average laymen would say: “Happy Birthday, Tom!”

Please remember my buddies, Joan and DD, and all those that need our prayers.

No comments: