Tuesday, January 06, 2009

THE FAT LADY IS SINGING!

#1 Son flies back to LA today, the official ‘holiday season’ is over! We now wonder if he is eating well, doing well, and happy. He would like to come home in the spring to see a Mets-Red Sox game at the new Citifield. I doubt he will, since he has a full life out there. We probably won’t see him again until December, for the holidays.

This year I thought I’d give him something to remember us all by. I went through the family albums, of which there are many, and scanned all of the photos that involved him. I then put them on a CD and created a jewel case with art as well as the cover of the CD, itself. It looks like you can buy one at a store somewhere. It took a long time to create, but it was worth it, he will have a lifetime of memories on a CD!

I must say he ate VERY well while at home. His philosophy of: “Leave no leftover, leftover.” Is very strong. He slept well, and watched TV well, but I was more impressed by the fact that he still worked so very hard. I guess when you work that hard you are entitled to do everything else well, too! It was fun to watch him eat, talk Mets and Jets and playoff football, and just chill out. I for one will certainly miss him.

My buddy John Onysko from down the block showed up to show #1 Son and myself his collection of old 1950’s baseball cards. We had a few drinks, talked about growing up and Brooklyn baseball, and life in general. John is a good guy that loves baseball like I do, the Brooklyn Dodgers, and telling stories. He used to organize a baseball team for the kids in the neighborhood.

The Hood had a great party. Everyone looked good and healthy and I hope it stays that way. MMB (My Man Bill) and TLC (The Lovely Carole) throw a great party. They pitched an outdoor patio tent, which hooked up to the house, with heaters for more room. It was 20 degrees or less outside on New Year’s Eve, and the wind was feeling like gale force. But inside the tent-like structure that opened to the den, it was warm. TLC had a great idea. On the invitation, all odd numbered homes brought desserts, and the even numbered brought appetizers. There was some good stuff there! Of course, there was an ample supply of Jack Daniels. Timmy and Gail, one of the neighbors made a great Italian appetizer, and TLW (The Little Woman) made a great dip. Being married to a dip, I guess she knows how to make one, too!

New Year’s Day was soup! The best thing after a holiday of eating heavily is: soup. Like Drain-o®, it helps clear the pipes!

Please remember all those that need our hopes and prayers, like Joan and DD.

No comments: