Thursday, February 05, 2009

LET’S TAKE OFF!

It was a Saturday morning, Dad was home from work, and Mom gave him the order. Take HIM (me) for a haircut! It was a fine spring day, and Dad and I walked to the barber for the first time!

I remember the walk along Rockaway Avenue as we trudged toward Fulton Street to the barbershop. When we arrived, the blinds were drawn because the sun was shining into the shop, and Dad and I had to wait our turn. Finally, the barber shook his towel and looked at me, as Dad led me to my execution!

I was in the middle chair of the three-chaired shop, the red padded cushion with the white and chrome, awaited me. As I started to climb the chair, the barber set a platform across the arms of the chair for me so he could reach my head without straining his neck. I remember watching the other barber with his straight-edged razor as he played it against the long brown leather strap, honing it to a fine edge.

I was a very bald baby when I was born, that grew into an uncontrollable blond with thick wild hair. This was a big deal! My first haircut, and Mom did not want to watch, so she sent Dad on the mission. As the barber clipped and chopped, he kept talking to me, trying to reassure me that all was well. I was on the verge of tears, but would not give anyone the satisfaction of crying, and maybe laughing at me!

Finally, the electric clippers came out, attached with an electrical cord! I could deal with scissors, but clippers? I didn’t think so. No, that would not do. The barber, sensing my tensing up, saved the day! As he was about to start the machine, he pulled out a toy airplane, and told me that the machine sounded like an airplane. I bought it! I happily flew through the experience, my imagination soaring like a DC-3!

When it was over, Dad told me I was a man now, but that my hair was too wild, and I needed to “Train” it!

As I grew older, Dad kept reminding me that I had to comb my hair to train it. It would stick up in the back like Alfalfa, and I had a cow’s lick in the front! As I got older, about ten, I realized I was no longer blond, but brown headed.

Please remember DD, and all those that need our prayers.

No comments: