Monday, March 23, 2009

AND THE YEARS KEEP ON ROLLING BY

It was 50 years ago today, as I stood in the bathroom, a paintbrush in my hand. Suddenly the phone rang, and I awaited the news. The covenant of three sisters broke up their cauldron and flew to see who would answer the phone first.

“It’s a girl!” is all I heard. In disbelief I stood there, ready to swallow the paintbrush. Another sister! Good God! Pass the paint, I’m drinking it all!

Me: “Give me the phone.”
Sis #1: “Sure, ha-ha!”
Me: “Dad! Are you kidding me? Is it true? Another one?”

And so, I was mad at Dad, and didn’t even want to speak to Mom! Four sisters on my hands, and I knew they would plague my existence for the rest of my formative years. They took my shoelaces and belt away, and I was under 24-hour watch. I requested it.

It actually was hell for the first few months. They took away my room, and I had to share it with the baby. The baby didn’t sleep much. Neither did I. The baby cried a lot, so did I. Who do you think got up at night to feed this kid, since he was conveniently near the crib anyway?

She grew up to be a lovely lady. Spoiled, and often I would mutter to myself: “Lovely, just $*&^#@@&^$%# lovely!”

But then she had two beautiful children, and met a wonderful guy named Don. She made me proud of her, as you can see from the picture. An assistant principle! Like my other sisters, she is beautiful, smart and charming. Don’t tell them I said that.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOANNE!
You are officially an old fart. 50 years old! Where did the time fly?
Read last year’s blogue: Monday, March 24, 2008.

Please remember my brother-in-law, John and MMB (My Man Bill, who was actually working outside yesterday!) and all those that need our prayers.

2 comments:

Fran said...

I hope the assistant principal doesn't yell at you for spelling principal wrong! Don't you remember the old way to remember how to spell it is, there is a "pal" in your principal! Your annoying younger sister Fran.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

It's the principle of the thing.