Friday, March 20, 2009

CAN IT BE THAT LONG AGO?

It was 37 years ago, the day was a Tuesday, and I sat in a cab for the longest cab ride of my life. Although there were many tears between then and now, it was all worth it!

The cab ride was from the Bay Shore Railroad train station to Southside Hospital, as I tried to get to the hospital from my job in NYC. No, I wasn’t going to emergency, but to the maternity ward to welcome my first-born child, Ellen Mary Del Broccolo.

She was beautiful. Prettier than ANY of MY baby pictures! That says a lot!

She was a bundle of pink and fussy as all get out. But she was beautiful. She still is. She has beautiful black hair, a smile that lights up the darkest night, and a love with no boundaries or pre-requisites.

She started me on the road of Fatherhood, although I wish she had a better father. The road has been tough, but we walk it together, step-by-step. Sometimes I stumble, and she can lift me up, sometimes she stumbles, and I try to lift her up.

Ellen is the fabric of my life now. She is the meaning of TLW (The Little Woman) and my life. We devoted our lives to her, and will continue to do so.

If you don’t have a child like Ellen, then God bless you. If you do, may God help you for the rest of your life.

Please remember my brother-in-law, John, and MMB (My Man Bill, and all those that need our prayers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to sweet Ellen!


Hugs!


jan/PCH

Jim Pantaleno said...

Joe:

Besides our common Brooklyn roots, I only know you through these posts and our email exchanges, but I'm going to bet that Ellen couldn't ask for better parents. I know from experience with my granddaughter how difficult life can be for the parents of a special child. My hat is off to you and your wife for all you have given. I sense also that you have received much from your child (as we have from ours) and that makes it all worth while.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

thank you to both of you!

Steve Philp said...

Please pass along a Happy Birthday to Ellen from all of her blog friends!

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Thanks again, to all. Ellen's Dad