Monday, March 02, 2009

THE END IS COMING!

‘Happy’, my cocker spaniel is getting old! She can no longer hear, as she sleeps all day, and total strangers step over her! Yesterday we had two strange people in our house; one was #2’s girl friend and the other a friend of his. Happy hates strangers. Happy hates other dogs, and even used to bark at her reflection in the mirror! She never heard or saw anyone!

Being a little deaf myself, we understand each other perfectly. I can tune out things like loud annoying or repetitive noises, a wife or even a priest giving a sermon. This is a blessing, as I can sleep all night, and even with my eyes opened!

Attending board of director meetings, I don’t need to hear, as long as I have the minutes in front of me from the last meeting. Although I am noted as outspoken, I do enjoy the quietness that I employ when I want to.

However, Happy is taken on another clue to her age. She can’t see that well! It seems that when TLW (The Little Woman) would let her out in the morning, on occasion she would fall into the pool! At 4:00 am in the morning, snow and ice all around, TLW would try to fish her out! I suspect that she couldn’t negotiate the backyard in the dark. Now, when I let her out, I keep the outside lights on for her.

At night, when she wants to come upstairs to bed with us, she can’t find the stairway, and stands at the bottom and barks. I have to go down, and physically carry her upstairs! She doesn’t roam around the house in the dark like she used to.

She used to sit on guard at the staircase, watching the front door when I would work in my studio upstairs. Now, she joins me in my studio, asleep on the floor. If someone is at the door, I hear the door before she even stirs a little!

I have decided to rename ‘Happy’, ‘Dopey’!

Please remember all those like DD and my brother-in-law, John who need our prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy is Beautiful :o)


Hope TLW is feeling better.

I'm off to shovel more ugggggg snow!

x&o Jan/PCH