Thursday, March 26, 2009

GETTING IT RIGHT


Today is #1 Son’s birthday! He turns 36 today, which now makes him 3 years younger than me!

Growing up, Anthony (#1 Son), always worried about getting things right. He excelled in school, and he tried very hard in sports. A scrappy soccer player, avid basketball player and dedicated baseball player, who at the mere hint of spring, would take out his baseball mitt and wait for someone to come along to play catch. I have a movie of him, coming out in the grey dark days of winter, with a glove, ball and bat!

When he wasn’t occupied with his schoolwork, he was drawing up charts for the college basketball March Madness. On his wall: he would hang his chart, and could tell you who should win it all. He got his wish to go to UNC at Chapel Hill, where one of his favorites, Michael Jordan played.

Having a son like Anthony is a special challenge. He picks your brain, challenge you to defend your point of view, and often, when he doesn’t know something, he asks. I would hope someday that he has a son, just like him. I would want him to experience the joy of having a child like him, being able to put him on automatic pilot, and watch him fly. I wish I could take credit for him, but he did it all on his own, without my help. Maybe TLW (The Little Woman) can take some credit.

He is always thoughtful. He can select a present that has meaning, or relates to a special interest, or just makes you feel good. A simple phone call is all he really needs to make a birthday special.

Everyone I know of has spoken highly of him. When he had his internship at my office, suddenly I was “Anthony’s father.” I’d talk to art directors that worked with him, and they would say how well organized he was, how much of a pleasure it was to work with him.

I miss the kid, and hope that he is enjoying today, because it is special to his old man.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANTHONY!
Love, Dad.


Please remember my brother-in-law John, and all those that need our prayers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Anthony the #1 Son! What I remember of you .... you were a nice guy ... just like your old man!


From an old PCHer .....


Jan Spalding

Anonymous said...

Anthony,We're thinking of you on your special day.
Love,
The Virginia Mannings

Fran said...

Anthony has always made me proud to say he was my nephew! Hope your birthday is a special as you are.
Love,
Uncle Tom and Aunt Fran