Friday, March 13, 2009

GOOD BYE, DD

And, an insidious disease known as cancer claims another young life. DD has lost her battle with the disease, and now we move on.

I met DD a few times, I hardly spoke to her, I last saw her by accident at the cancer center at Stony Brook Hospital as she and her lovely mother Sue were getting off the elevator as I was leaving. Having a child with a disease sucks, losing one sucks even more. I know; I’ve been there.

There is nothing one can say. “I’m sorry,” sounds kind of worn-out. And what have we lost? We've all lost a young person, a young woman, but a potential for more. What potential? A potential to bring new life to this earth, a potential to help cure a disease maybe, or a potential to save lives or some kind of good works. DD was young; her days should have been ahead of her, not behind. When I think of all the evil that lurks about, the scum that lies cheats and steals from us all, I wonder what she could have possibly done at 18 years of age? Why?

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”
John Greenleaf Whittier

Thank you if you have kept DD in your prayers. No one will remember, but God.

Please remember my brother-in-law John, and all those that need our prayers.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Joe:

I didn't know DD, but I feel saddened by her loss. Death should be for those who are old and done with life. When a good person dies, we are all a little diminished. She's in a place where her terrible disease can no longer touch her. Take care amigo.