Saturday, March 07, 2009

THE MIRACLE OF THE BOOKS


The other morning I decided to take a ride over to the library and take out a book. I used to take out women, but somehow that all changed, it was so long ago, and I’ve forgotten why it changed!

As I perused the shelves of the Sachem Public Library, I came upon a book on a shelf about Gil Hodges, a great Brooklyn Dodger first baseman and New York Mets manager. (1969 World Champions!) The book looked like something I would want to read. As I looked at the cover, it came over me that maybe the book looked familiar. Did I read it? I got a little closer and it seemed to look a little familiar. I thought I would thumb through the book to see if it was familiar. Reaching up, I took the book down and started to fan through the pages, when I suddenly came upon a piece of paper stuck in the pages. Yup, I read it all right. A receipt I got from a doctor’s visit was used as a bookmark!

I said to myself (I do that a lot!), wait ‘til I tell TLW. (The Little Woman) Say: “‘til I tell TLW” three times! (Feels stupid, no?)

That night, TLW and I are talking. (Well, she’s talking, I’m listening) and I remember the library! I start to tell her about it, and go into the den where my book was, and pull out the receipt, and bring it over to her. I give her the paper and she says: “Fifteen dollars!!!”

Please remember DD and my brother-in-law, John and all those that need our prayers.

No comments: