Tuesday, March 10, 2009

WHAT HAPPENED?


TLW (The Little Woman) gets a magazine called AARP. She doesn’t look like she should, but she does! I took it one day this week to wait for #2 Son to get out of class, and on the cover was Dustin Hoffman. He got old!

I started to think about all the people I know or knew, people from so long ago. People that I took for granted, that they would always be there and would always remain the same. I thought about my parents, as I remember them, not as they are now. Dad is gone, and Mom is 90, almost 91! I see my sisters and I don’t see their age, unless I look closely, but; it is not their age I see. I see, and hear them as they were once, long ago.

I remember friends from past years, some I hear from, some I seek out, some, are alive, some not. I recall places I’ve been to, places I took for granted. These very same places are no longer the same. Just in my memory. Places that have aged, like people. Places that need an overhaul, or are gone, replaced with new buildings and new people. People, who I don’t know work or live there,

What happened?

I can hear the sounds of laughter, the sights that comforted me, sounds and sights I no longer see or hear. It is getting very quiet. Soon I will start to count who is left, and then I will no longer count.

I used to worry about what people thought of me. I know that not everyone likes or agrees with me. I guess that comes with life. Now I worry no more! There is a whole new world out there, or is it the old world, just changing again? Is it not the same ground? The same world that I lived in a few years ago, that my ancestors lived in? George Washington lived in the same world I share. Do I worry I don’t fit in, or that people find me out of date?

We are all changing! We will all be that building that exists no more, whether we wish to acknowledge it or not. We will all be a distant memory. So, I don’t worry. In a hundred years from now, no one will notice, or care. That I wore or said something that was out of whack, no one would know it occurred.

Please remember John and DD, and all those that need our prayers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who knew you were so deep.



Jan/PCH

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Really "deep sixed"!

Jim Pantaleno said...

Don't worry Joe, you've led a good life and if there's anything to Karma, you'll come back in the next life as something really special like Sophia Loren's favirite sweater!

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

How did you find out about that, Jim?