Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I’D TEXT MESSAGE THIS, BUT…

OK, I’m in my 60’s, getting older by the minute, and maybe I should jump on the bandwagon. The text-message bandwagon is what I’m talking about. It seems I can’t go a whole day without hearing the words: “text” and “message”. Seemingly, text messaging is the quickest way to communicate!

I also hear that to do so, I would need to reinvent the spelling book I learned from so many years ago. I knew I should have gone outside to play, instead of doing my homework!

TLW (The Little Woman) and I were talking about it a few days ago, and how kids seem to use it the most. The problem is that no one spells out the words anymore! By #1 Son’s estimation, spelling will change in 30 years. ‘You are’ will become ‘U R’ in any document you choose to print or write out. I see it already in emails I get, and frankly, it is a little annoying. There is an endless supply of letters in your keyboard, and being thrifty with them will not save anything. In fact, you will wear out your u and r keys, if you keep it up!

It’s bad enough none of us use handwriting anymore, we don’t mail letters like we used to, and even the emails are short and abbreviations are used extensively! Are the times changing so drastically! Will we lose our ability to communicate altogether in a coherent structure that is clear and concise?

I?4U. @TEOTD, WIIFM?

GL

http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/textmessageabbreviations.asp#w

Please remember all those that need our hopes and prayers, particularly MMB (My Man Bill) and my brother-in-law, John.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya Joe! The first text message I got was our friends wife in VT telling us her husband was just admitted to the hospital with a possible heart attack. First off, we rarely have our cell phone on - only on weekends or if we're away from Mom and or/home. She was surprised we didn't text her back right away ... it was two days later when we did and it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to text back. I should have just called her.

Jan/PCH

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Exactly right! Just call, its probably cheaper, too!