Wednesday, April 01, 2009

THE NOT SO GREAT WALENDA!



Or, get me off this @^%($#@^ trapeze!


Today I scaled new heights! To reach an unreachable goal, TLW (The Little Woman) and I rigged a series of ladders, platforms and boosters so I could paint a short wall that had no way of being painted. Mind you, I have painted this wall numerous times, papered it, and even drew and painted straight lines during the twenty some odd years I have lived here. TLW said it needed painting, so we painted. I could hire someone, but they would screw it up, worst than me!

As we scratched our heads trying to figure out how to reach the unreachable, we started to experiment with ladders, boards and tables, everything seemed to defy conventional wisdom, which is to not paint it. Slowly, over the steps, under my direction, we constructed either the tools to my demise, or a way to paint the wall.

Standing in the middle of space, my knees and legs shaking, I mounted the structure with nothing around me to hold on to. It quaked and I moaned. It swayed, and I prayed. Balancing myself, I nervously reached up, trying to hold my breath while keeping a steady hand, not to get paint on the ceiling! God, with me doing all the talking and me! TLW was shaking as much as I was, she would have to clean up the broken bones, blood and all my brains that would have splattered into the rooms below.

To dream ... the impossible dream ...
To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...
To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...
To run ... where the brave dare not go ...
To right ... the unrightable wrong ...
To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...
To try ... when your arms are too weary ...
To reach ... the unreachable star ...

This is my quest, to follow that star ...
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far ...
To fight for the right, without question or pause ...
To be willing to march into Hell, for a Heavenly cause ...

And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest,
That my heart will lie will lie peaceful and calm,
when I'm laid to my rest ...
And the world will be better for this:
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach ... the unreachable star ...



Finally, it was done. If I had failed, you would not have had to read about it!

Please remember my Brother-in-law, John, and all those that need our prayers.

No comments: