Sunday, April 05, 2009

ZERO, OTTO, NOVE



The meetings were over, the reports all read, and the convention ended early. Ken Walker, my fellow member of the NYSARC Board of Governors, asked if I would be opposed to leaving, and getting a jump on the long trip home. This meant missing the luncheon, but I was still full from breakfast. It was a go.

As we approached the Bronx, from our long trip down the NYS Thruway, Ken, the Genius that he is said: “Would you be opposed to a little pasta on Arthur Avenue on the Bronx?” (He's not opposed to anything! Neither am I.)

As we navigated our way through the heavy congestion of the Bronx, we soon found ourselves on Arthur Avenue, and selecting a choice parking spot, we climb out of the car. Not finding Roberto’s open anymore, a small sign directed us to another location to a great place called: Zero Otto Nove. Between the atmosphere in the streets and the one in the restaurant, I was hauled back to my childhood, and the sweet aromas that made my Grandmother so special! Not only is Arthur Avenue filled with great restaurants and aromas; it is filled with bakeries that beg one to come on in and browse.

Ken feasted on rabbit, while I indulged in a pork chop with sweet peppers, and a dry red wine that was superb! Of course, I kicked and screamed all the way into the restaurant, with the promise of great food, I resisted as best I could. Once the meal was over, (COSTATELLE DI MAIALE E PUPACCHIELLE) we tried an espresso and a canoli, with the cream so sweet, and the shell perfect, that I haven’t had one like it since I was growing up in Brooklyn.

The neighborhood is predominately Italian, and that is all I could see on the streets. Beautiful faces, filled with cheer, conversation and animation. People stood waving their hands as they spoke, the fluidity of the Italian language, expressively communicating even the mundane. It felt like a time warp for me, as I felt the pace of a one time Fulton Street, shops with open-air convenience, for fish, vegetables and candy stores, promising the news, cigarettes and candy!

The joy of living was evident in the faces of the patrons at Zero Otto Nove, 2357 Arthur Ave., Bronx, NY 10458 (718) 220-1027 http://www.roberto089.com/index_089.html Italians, Americans and even whole large Chinese families, leaving or entering the restaurant! The ambiance was a great attempt at the old world make do charm that is so prevalent in Florence and Rome.

The day didn’t stop there. No, I had the good fortune of riding with one of the few and interesting gentlemen there is. Ken Walker, is a dedicated member of the Suffolk Chapter AHRC, and a father of a beautiful daughter named Sabrina, who lives in one of the group homes. Ken, like me, is also a former president of the board. Once we reached his hometown of Amityville, where the movie was the real horror, he gave me a tour of the town. If you don’t know Ken, then you are missing something worthwhile.

Please remember my brother-in-law John, and all those that need our prayers.

No comments: