Saturday, May 23, 2009

APOLITICAL POINT OF VIEW

TLW (The Little Woman) and I try to maintain a civil household. That is to say: She will not comment on politics, while I have my say. When I give an opinion, it is usually because I find a minor disagreement with the politician or news ‘commentator’.

Our opinions vary on many issues. For instance, whenever a politician goes to jail, TLW will silently voice her agreement or disagreement, while I might say; “Good, the son of a #!%$( should rot in hell afterward.” This crosses all party lines and philosophies. Once when a certain news ‘commentator’ was caught trying to do something cranial on his news show, it didn’t work. As TLW and myself both observed, she looked skeptical at what was trying to be achieved, while I voiced my instant observation: “Sure, that %$#*&^ son of a #!%$(‘s father is a ^*$^#%^%* politician, how could HE make it work with HIS brain?” TLW’s immediate response was: “Oh my!”

I have a passion for speaking my mind. This does not mean I am political. No, quite the contrary, I am apolitical, and have been for years. The trouble is, once you open your mouth, agreeing or disagreeing with someone, the assumption is you are a “Liberal” or a “Conservative”, and therefore must be convinced to rethink your point of view! Some people think I’m a left wing pinko commie and some think I’m a right wing whacko fascist. I like to think of myself as a centralist, one that makes a beeline to the refrigerator or bar, regardless of your political persuasion.

#1 AND #2 Son along with their Mom, my first wife, think I’m a fascist. Many of my colleagues think I am a commie, and all think I’m awfully opinionated. I enjoy the deception, since I like to see people make up their minds about me, and be off base.

Many years ago, when I married TLW, we moved into this little apartment. My Dad gave me a bit of advice. He said to register with the local political power in office, because if I ever needed something done, it would happen provided I was one of them.

When in high school and college, I was a staunch Liberal, filled to the brim with idealism, and the willingness to “Help” people. I despised former President Nixon, and still do for what he did. However, as I grew older my views changed to become more independent in my thinking. This made it convenient for me to swear at them all. Now I am an equal opportunity swearer. Let’s face it: politicians are feckless, cheating, liars, who change colors when they think it helps them get elected. Few stand by any principles, because few have any.

I don’t watch the news because it is so slanted, depending on whom you watch. The regular news shows, give very little news, no real useful information, and very little value to the viewer. Be it CNN or Fox News, the opinions are slanted. I don’t watch or listen to talk shows that invite politicians, because that becomes a forum for bologna.

They should have a news program with the byline: “Out of context and on the air!”

Please remember MMB (My Man Bill, and my brother-in-law John, and all those that need our hopes and prayers.

No comments: