Friday, May 15, 2009

A DRIVEN CONVERSATION

The other day, I had to pick up #2 Son from class in the afternoon. As we passed the street where an old friend of his lived, I asked #2 if he had seen him lately. The conversation went like this;

Me: “Have you seen Carmelo lately?”
He: “No, not since high school.”
Me: “So you don’t know what happened to him.”
He: “Nah, you know, he was going bald!”
Me: “You mean in high school?”
He: “Yup, he was what you could say is ‘legitimately’ bald!”
Me: “Hmmm… you know, you can’t be illegitimately bald.”
He: “Yea!”
Me: “In fact, grandpa Tria was completely bald by his mid twenties!”
He: “Oh? That’s weird! Is that why you have a bald spot in the back of your head? You do have hair on your head, at least you are not completely bald!”
Me: “Well, you see, before I met your mother, I was considering becoming a Franciscan Monk.”
He: “You! A monk!”
Me: “Yup, I even went to pre-seminary preparation for it.”
He: “What was that?”
Me: “I had my hair removed surgically from that spot. It is supposed to be the holy spot of the body on a monk.” He: “ Wow! You must have had some issues: you must have had a dark corner in your life. Did you ever figure out why you wanted to be a monk?”
Me: “Oh, no issues, I just knew that the life of meditation, free of worldly things was best for me. You know, they take a vow of poverty?”
He: “Wouldn’t you have missed the real world?”
Me: “No, I love the quiet life, then I met your mother. Now I live the life of poverty and believe me, any married man does. As far as the quiet life, I really don’t get a word in edge wise anyway.”

Please remember all those that need our hopes and prayers, especially my brother-in-law, John.

No comments: