Friday, May 01, 2009

IT IS ALL IN HOW YOU ARGUE IT


The other day #2 son arrived in the threshold of my studio. With each hand on a side of the doorway, he leaned in and made an announcement. It seems a certain friend of his was arrested for a misdemeanor of some kind, and would I not blab it about.

Who would care? I know I don’t.

Me: “Good!”
#2: “Good! Why?”
Me: “He broke the law.”
#2: “Yes, but he didn’t hurt anybody.”
Me: “That is on his record.”
#2: “Martin Luther King was arrested.”
Me: “True, HE broke the law, he should be arrested. Besides, Martin Luther King was calling attention to himself for a cause, he didn’t say to his Dad not to blab that he was arrested.”

#2 left with his cause somewhat diminished, and his friend still held in high esteem by #2 Son. I know the person who he is talking about, and I personally like him, always have, and probably always will. But, the law is the law: we have to obey, to keep order.

He wears Che, Working Party, and old Soviet Union T-shirts just to rile me. It is my fault there was slavery in the 19th century, poor people all over the world, and the very fact that I live in this great country, a reason to not be trusted. That is, until he needs cigarette money, then, God Bless America, and dear old Dad!

It is my firm belief, that my son, #2, is a closet arch conservative, a FOX NEWS subscriber both financially and philosophically. His overall design is to annoy me, push my buttons, and just make a pain in the butt of himself, for his poor old man’s sake. So, he takes on every imaginable cause that poor people have, and blames me for them, because I am a white middle-class man. The fact that I have given to countless causes to help the poor does not matter!

If he decides to ever leave, I will sit him down, and tell him, that HE is a white man too. What this does to his day I don’t know, but I can’t wait to tell him. I’m saving it for a rainy day.

Please remember my brother-in-law, John, and all those that need our prayers.

No comments: