Monday, May 04, 2009

SWITCHEROO

I woke up with a headache, and took it down stairs to the kitchen for a cup of coffee and two aspirin. The morning was dark and dreary, wet and chilly. The rain outside seemed to put a damper on my spirits, as well as my lawn.

Pouring the coffee, I sat in my chair to read the morning paper, as TLW (The Little Woman) was busily on her laptop computer. Waving a piece of paper at me, I realized, she wasn’t going to go away, and with an achy head, I acknowledged her.

Her: “I got this from Mark at work, yesterday.”
Me: “Good”
Her: “ It’s about the service provider for our gas and electric.”
Me: “Good”
Her: “Come over her and look at this.”
(She wasn’t going to stop!)
Me: “What is it?”
Her: :It’s a listing of all the company’s that now offer the service.”
Me: “What service?”
Her: The service for the deregulation of gas and electric.”
Me: “and…?”
Her: “You have to look into it. I can’t because you do it better, and I would need a secretary to do it.”
“Me: “You hate me, don’t you? You’re going to get that widow insurance if it kills me, huh.”

Looking at the long, LONG list on the computer screen, my head starts to pound; thump, thump, thump. My eyes can’t stand the glare of the kitchen lights, and the coffee is starting to taste like she put something in it!

Her: There is the different meter reading from the National Grid, the reading from LIPA, and they give you a two month discount if you change to ARMPIT Service. Also, they give you a 1% discount of the taxes and a 7% to 8% discount of the bill for switching. Plus you get a free three-day, two night hotel stay at choice locations. Here read this paper that was given to me by Mark.

I take the paper and go into my downstairs office with built in toilet/chair, for special reading assignments given to me by TLW. I read, and soon realize if I cross my legs, I won’t get much done!

Coming out, TLW looks at me.

Me: “Okay, I’ve made a decision!”
TLW: “What’s that?”
Me: “We should really get 2-ply!”

Please remember all those that need our prayers, including my brother-in-law, John.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

When I worked for Con Ed, I decided to switch electric service providers just to see what the average customer would experience. The new company screwed up my bills so badly that I wound up back with Con Ed. Deregulation of gas, electric and telephone service has been a big dud in my humble opinion. Smoke and mirrors to give the appearance of competition, but sadly, no substance.