Thursday, May 28, 2009

THE UNIFORM OF THE DAY

Many years ago, as a young man, I would take some time out for my wardrobe. It was important to wear ties that worked with my shirts and suits, and my shoes were either brown or black. On occasion, in the heat of the summer I wore white shoes! I was a dandy. Down to my underwear and socks, I was a model for color coordination.

On the weekends and vacation times, it was still a button down look, and color coordination was important. I wore white socks (A harbinger of things to come) with my shorts and sneakers, but wore funky hats.

My, how times have changed!

Today, I wear what ever the hell I want, whether it is coordinated or not! Who cares? I’m retired and loving it. One thing I try to keep constant: white socks. If I have to go to a wedding, I will then break all the rules and wear a coordinated effort of my finest: black, blue or brown socks.

My generation has contrasted my father’s generation in terms of everyday wear. For instance, I wear a baseball cap, sneakers or soft shoes, and jeans. My shirts are t-shirts and they advertise where I’ve been, maybe a cruise, or that “old people rule!” Dad’s generation wore shirts with collars and penholders in the breast pocket, long pants that were buckled under the breast pocket, and when they wore shorts, they were with brown sandals and black dress socks. My generation dumped the socks!

Dad’s generation drove Crown Victoria’s or Mercury Marquis’. We drive SUV’s, don’t matter which one, either.

My Mom dragged my Dad down to the mall, where he sat on a bench and waited for Mom to come out of a store like Macy’s. Today, TLW (The Little Woman) is in Macy’s, while I’m home watching the ballgame.

Tomorrow: THE UNIFORM OF THE DAY, PART II.


Please remember all those that need our hopes and prayers, including MMB (My Man Bill) and my brother-in-law, John.

No comments: