Monday, June 01, 2009

WHEN THE SUN SETS

TLW (The Little Woman) and I sat in the diner, having our usual Sunday morning breakfast. Reaching into my pocket, I pulled out my cell phone, and turned it on. I seldom do this one act. I explained to TLW that I would leave it on in case the Macaroni Man called about today’s game. Not five minutes later, it rang, the restaurant was noisy, I was getting irritated, and little rug rats were scurrying up and down the aisles, annoying me.

I answered the phone, but instead of hearing the Macaroni man, it was Rich my good neighbor across the street. He informed me that MMB (My Man Bill) had passed away early in the morning!

What should be considered a warm, sunny beautiful day, seemed cold, dark and sad! It seems a piece of the neighborhood, a good piece, had somehow been stolen from me.

My first thoughts were of his family, his beautiful wife and his two beautiful children. My heart is aching for a little girl named Christina, who lives next door to me. A child who loves her dad, who was taking it very hard that her Dad was sick. And now a child who just realized one of her greatest fears! This young lady would never dance with her Dad on her wedding day. A child thrust into adulthood, yet will cry the tears of a child for her lost Dad.

I thought of MMB’s son, Billy, a tall handsome guy, just like his Dad. A boy approaching and crossing the threshold of manhood, who would have to do it alone, without his dad’s guidance. A young man who would find his achievements and wonder how proud his dad would feel.

I thought of Carole, a wonderful woman who does all she can for a guest in her home. Carole’s home is constantly open, and a place for a friend or stranger. Her home, the little paradise that she and her husband shared, the place of memories and dreams was changed forever. The only thing open wider is her heart.

But Bill lives on! He more than anyone I know or knew, had the most Christian of values. He didn’t shroud himself in self-righteousness. I don’t think he was particularly religious, but Bill did more than most churchgoers. He made it a practice to give. He gave of himself, when help was needed. But no one asked! If you needed and did ask, he gave you more than you needed.

In all my years of life, I have never been more fortunate than when I first met Bill! It was a cold wintry late fall day. I was in my back yard, up to my knees in fallen leaves, raking away. Suddenly there was a knock on my gate door. I opened it, and there stood what looked like St, Christopher, on one of those medals they handed out in Catholic School! If you are familiar with it, it shows St. Christopher with the baby Jesus on his shoulders, wading across a ragging river. Instead, it was MMB and his little son Billy. Little Billy wore a Mets cap, and his Dad reached out his hand to shake mine. I wonder how anything could be truer! Since I’ve known him, he has helped more than one across a ragging river, doing so as he carried us all, in his heart.

I will miss MMB, as will TLW. We will look after that beautiful family as long as they live there. Maybe somehow, in some small way, I can pay him back.

There were a number of grown men at his home yesterday, paying their condolences to his widow. I have a new respect and deep fondness for them. They were the ones that openly cried for that wonderful man, My Man Bill.


And so as the sun sets, for the first time without the secure knowledge that Bill is there, the world is consoled by the knowledge that he left a legacy of love and humanity, and a respect that few men could ever achieve.

Please remember all those that need our hopes and prayers, my brother-in-law, John.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, gosh, Joe, I am so sorry. A beautiful tribute to MMB, who I feel like I have gotten to know through you. This earthly world lost a fine man who had a true friend in you.

Fran said...

I am so sorry about Bill. Whenever you wrote about him, I wished that I could have met him. What a great loss to all who knew him. My prayers today will be for his family. They are lucky to have you next door. I know you will be a great comfort to them as you are to us.
Fran

Mary Ann said...

So sorry Joe. I know how much he meant to all of you. His wife and children are fortunate in that you and Ellen are there for them, much as you have always been for anyone who has ever known you.

Our prayers are for his widow and young children, that they get through this, and live the way MMB would have wanted.

Love you,
Mary Ann

Laura ESL Teacher said...

I am so sorry about your friend, Joe. His family will be in my prayers.

Jim Pantaleno said...

The world is poorer for the loss of a good man. I always prefered the strong silent type who let their actions speak rather than their words. Sounds like Bill fit that description. My condolences over the passing of your good friend.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe & Ellen,
I am deeply saddened to hear of the loss of your dear friend. It is a profound reminder to make sure we tell people how much we care about them and appreciate them face to face when we have the opportunity rather than wait to share those thoughts and feelings with their family members after their passing.
With sympathy,
Angela

Anonymous said...

Joe, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news of your friend. Of course I only knew of him through your blog. You certainly were blessed to have such a great friend and neighbor - he's probably helping out everyone in heaven. I'll bet he felt the same about you. You are a special man.

Hugs .... jan/PCH

Laura L-V said...

Joe, I'm so sorry about the world's loss, and your loss of a very dear friend. Your description of MMB as St. Christopher is very powerful and sounds like it fits him perfectly - a great protector. I am sorry that his travels have taken him to another place, but it sounds like he will be watching over the travels and lives of his loved ones and will live on as a very strong memory for all of you. Rest in peace, MMB. Prayers for you all... MFF