Monday, June 15, 2009

DOG GONE

Friday evening we noticed that Happy, our cocker spaniel was limping, favoring her right hind leg! So I had to pick her up to carry her upstairs and down. She was taken to the Sachem Animal Hospital the next day and we were told that she is getting old that her kneecap is out of place. The doctor gave us some meds to alleviate the pain.

As we sat waiting for the doctor to call us in, there was a young guy, in his twenties, bristling with muscles and sunglasses. In one hand was the leash for a 200 lb lab, and in his other hand was his customary, and obligatory cell phone. Today the kids are all in mourning, and this guy was no exception, all in black!

Coming out of the doctor’s office and passing us all by, this short, middle aged guy with a cardigan sweater and his little dog on a leash. Seeing the young stud, he put his head down into his button down shirt and never looked up, running out of the office.

I looked down at Happy, and felt that maybe this wasn’t good either. Maybe I should have a Doberman, or a German shepherd: or better still, a wolf! Yes, a wolf! That would show the young studs, who is boss.

When I walk Happy, it never feels, that some showoff with a large dog goes by, and I feel like I have a kitten on my leash. Yes, a wolf would be better. I can read their minds: “Ha-look at that sissy dog, must be like the owner.” I’ll give him sissy!

Happy is not afraid to bark and growl, that is because we named her Happy. She wanted to be named something other than a nice dog. If anyone says to me in the next two weeks, as the doctor did: “Happy is not too happy!” I will rip his heart out and feed it to Happy.

Felice, lo morde!

Please remember all those that need our prayers, including my brother-in-law, John.

No comments: