Friday, June 19, 2009

HOW LOVE GROWS


38 years ago, on this very day, I made my final ‘goodbyes’ to single life. What was once a restless journey to find myself, became an instant claim to adulthood, and the prospects for happiness seemed immediate. It was.

TLW (The Little Woman, Ellen by name) was the “candle that punched a hole in the darkness”, if I may borrow a phrase. She has been with me every step of the way, and I with her. There have been many highs, and some very deep lows, that neither of us caused, but it is what life is all about.

She has shown me what caring is, what a big heart means, what being a parent is all about. She is tenacious, bulldog like, yet loving, kind, and always caring. She is intelligent and a lady. If I did anything right in life, it is in marrying someone who puts herself second, even if she tells me to poop in my hat once-in-a-while.

I tell her she has no sense of humor, but believe me, that is what she does have. (She married me, after all!)

I have no claim to fame, except for making a great choice in my spouse, and having my children, but when people see me, they think, “there goes a lucky guy, he married well!”

TLW wasn’t born to money, but was born to wealth. She came from a large loving family, one that still stays in touch with each other. They carry life’s lessons in the package their parents gave them. They contribute to the world, and give freely. Their spouses are testimony to what a wonderful core of people they are.

You know when love is there. If you are comfortable with each other, can care for each other and not worry about yourself, then you are in love, and love is there. Partnerships are built that way, as are friendships. Random acts of kindness are frequent, as are the little things you feel. Love doesn’t have to be broadcasted to be felt, love doesn’t even have to be demonstrated to be known, but if love is present, it is true.

We can bicker. Oh, yes we can. But when it is all done and said, we allow room for each other to compromise, accept and say we are sorry. We never say hurtful things to each other, or ever wish ill will. After all, we are in love, and that grows with the years.

I can’t remember when you weren’t there
When I didn’t care for anyone but you
I swear we’ve been through everything there is
Can’t imagine anything we’ve missed
Can’t imagine anything the two of us cant do

Through the year, you’ve never let me down
You turned my life around, the sweetest days I’ve found
I’ve found with you ... through the years

I’ve never been afraid, I’ve loved the life we’ve made
And I’m so glad I’ve stayed, right here with you
Through the years

I can’t remember what I used to do
Who I trusted whom, I listened to before
I swear you’ve taught me everything I know
Can’t imagine needing someone so
But through the years it seems to me
I need you more and more

Through the years, through all the good and bad
I knew how much we had, I’ve always been so glad
To be with you ... through the years
Its better everyday, you’ve kissed my tears away
As long as its okay, Ill stay with you
Through the years

Through the years, when everything went wrong
Together we were strong, I know that I belonged
Right here with you ... through the years
I never had a doubt, wed always work things out
I’ve learned what loves about, by loving you
Through the years


Thanks, sweetheart, they’ve been the best years of my life, I love you, and I know how love grows!

Please remember all those that need our hopes and prayers, including my brother-in-law, John.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn ... you made me teary eyed! Good thing I have on run-free mascara! Joe, that was the most beautiful tribute to TLW. She's so lucky to have you and you are so lucky to have her. Happy Anniversary and may the two of you have many .... many ... many more! God Love you both!


x&o Jan/PCH