Tuesday, July 07, 2009

MY SECOND HOME


Having moved from Brooklyn was a trauma for yours truly. Having lived all my life in the cement jungle of the city, moving to the burbs was a bit of an ordeal. We moved into a neighborhood that was not completed yet. No grandmother around, and where the heck was the subway? There were big dirt piles all over the neighboring area, with dirt roads with big muddy lakes. One had to walk a while to find a paved road, let alone a sidewalk! Homes were still being built!

Of course, it was up to me to find a store for Mom, since she didn’t drive, and we needed food. Dad was away in the city, and so I became the pioneer. “And while you are out there, see if you can find a church.” Mom commanded.

Off I went in one direction, strictly by my senses. Pointing my nose south, I headed that way and found a main road, (Montauk Highway) with traffic, with some commercial enterprises. Along with the find was a strange dog, which was snarling and following me! I was licked once by an Irish setter, (No offense, Toots) and when I was, I cried! This was 54 years ago! I was amazed by the lack of civilization, and quickly became worried that there was no TV in the area! All I could actually see was trees, grass, and old worn out gas stations, with big signs on them. After making the only turn heading west, I decided I would walk a while, and after no luck, would retrace my steps. I was missing Curiale’s and Butlers deli markets! Not even a Spinner’s in the area, this was the boondocks! My feet were starting to hurt when I finally came across a place that looked interesting. “Gene’s Supermarket”, the sign said, and I went in.

There standing behind the counter was this nasty looking old lady who eyed me suspiciously. I went to the bread section and got a loaf of sliced bread, and quart of milk and I think some baloney and mayo. She eyed me in her pink flowered cotton apron, watching my every move. Barely standing with her grey head over the counter. She must have thought that I was going to rob her. I was a stranger, probably one of ‘those city kids’.

No smile was emanating from the lady. No acknowledgment that I was a customer, and no trust that I was honest. Feeling very alone and strange, I placed the groceries on the counter and waited for her to tally it all up. Still no smile from grandma, as she rang me up. I tried smiling, but was greeted with disapproval, and almost hostility. Paying her, I was about to leave, when I had an idea.

Me: “Do you know where the church is?”

Momma Mean: “What church?”

Me: “ Catholic church.” I replied timidly.

Momma mean: “Oh! Sure! St. Joseph The Worker, right across the street on this side of the road, honey!” She was now smiling! I had made a friend.

Thanking her, I told her how happy my mother was going to be!

When I returned home, Mom asked how I did. “Oh, fine, the store is nearly in Brooklyn!”

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JIM http://jpantaleno.blogspot.com/ The blogger from Somers Street!

Please remember all those that need our prayers, including my brother-in-law, John.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

My Aunt Mary moved to Selden in 1959...I think there were still Indians roaming Suffolk back then! It was like traveling to another country. Glad you made the adjustment so well.