Sunday, August 09, 2009

ABOUT FACE.

As I sit here about to write, I realize that tonight is the 45th reunion of TLW’s (The Little Woman’s) 1964 Seton Hall graduating class reunion. It is the reason I am helping to organize my own 45-year high school reunion, even though I am considerably younger than TLW.

I called one of my old classmates, and she acted surprised by my call.

Gail: “Joe? Joe DelBloggolo? Are you on some kind of work release program? Do prisons allow personal phone calls?’

Me: “No, I never went to prison, it just seemed that would happen. I was never fitted by any warden for a striped suit, my tailor was being facetious. He complained that my neck was too thick! But that’s not why I called. Can you help me organize a 45th high school reunion?”

Gail: “Well, I don’t know. It is kind of late to try contacting people for this year. Why don’t you try Martha, you remember Martha? She’s in touch with everybody it seems. Have you tried Face Book? You can post it there too. ”

Me: “OK, Martha, wasn’t she the gal that once spread that rumor that I was a nice guy?”

Gail: Yes, so what, she made a mistake, don’t we all?”

Me: “Thanks, I’ll give her a call.”

Me: “Hello, Martha?”

Martha: “Yes!”

Me: “Joe Del Bloggolo”

Martha: “Who?”

Me: “Joe Del Bloggolo, we went to school together.”

Martha: “Oh, right, are you on some kind of work release program? Do prisons allow personal phone calls?’

Me: “Hee hee, no silly, it’s just my… never mind I need help. I want to organize a class reunion for high school. Can you help me?”

Martha: “Try Face Book, and two aspirins, and call me back in 2019.”

So, I joined up for Face Book. Let me tell you, once you do, it can be addictive, especially if you are reconnecting with people from your past. Not only am I writing on walls I don’t even see, I started a club, that I’m not so sure I started, and sent lifetime friendship to up to 20 people! I can’t imagine doing anything 20 times, and not stopping for a coffee break!

I joined and now find myself in the middle of conversational messages, posted on some wall of mine, which I just know, TLW will make me paint, once she sees it! Not only that, I am in the middle of conversations, not sure if they are talking to me or not, while nieces and nephews are now writing on the walls, not to mention, #2 Son! TLW makes me paint any walls, and #2 Son will help!

The good thing is I am in contact with people I haven’t spoken to in years, and am glad I am. The stories aren’t always good, but at least they are alive and kicking.

This morning, as I stepped out of the shower and looked in the mirror while I dressed, I realized by looking into that mirror: that the person I am looking at is not the same guy who 45 years ago dressed for his graduation. It made me realize, I need a new mirror.

Please pray for my brother-in-law John, and hope he finds the first dollar he ever made and misplaced, and all those that need our hopes and prayers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Facebook is a funny place. I'm not sure Spin and I even have the knack of it!!!! All I know is Spin's been to Farmville and also hung around in Yoville!

x&o jan/pch

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Jan,
It's addictive, but I really get confused!

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Welcome to Facebook, a great way to waste time! By the way you can add me as friend if you like: Laura Pantaleno Beeler