Saturday, August 22, 2009

A BETTER BREAK Part-IV

Once I returned home from the hospital, I realized I needed to get back on the ball, and find a way to get to school. I wasn’t bout to give up on my dream of an education. I was close to finishing up, and had to finish two semesters. The One semester I didn’t complete, and one more and I could graduate.

One weekend, I think it was Labor Day weekend; my folks invited my aunt and uncle from Franklyn Square out to celebrate the holiday. Being I was in a cast, I couldn’t go anywhere: the cast was up to my hip!

My Aunt Marie asked me how it was going, what my plans were and how I figured I could execute them. When I told her my dilemma, she immediately offered to let me stay at her house. It was an offer I couldn’t refuse!

If it weren’t for two wonderful people, I might have never finished my education, and therefore never realized my dream.

So, I learned a great lesson. I have to be there for others, just as others were there for me. My brother-in-law John, was a tremendous help, giving me rides home from school on a Friday night, and my good buddy Phil, helping me out until he finished school, one semester before me. My Aunt had neighbors who gave me rides close to the school, and I would hitch-hike the rest of the way, and found rides home to my Aunt’s house from friends in school.

People are wonderful, you just know it when you need them.

1 comment:

Laura ESL Teacher said...

It is true, people are good. We are constantly bombarded with bad news from the media, but when we sit down and think about it, there are lots of good people in this world.