Sunday, August 23, 2009

HUNTER MOUNTAIN IRISH FEST


It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, and it was the longest day! It started out as a bus ride that left the park and ride lot at 9:52 AM, and didn’t arrive in Hunter Mountain until 2:40 PM! No, I wasn’t skiing; I was attending the “International Celtic (Keltic) Festival that I mentioned on previous blogues. (Monday, August 17, 2009
IRISHMEN AND DEMOCRATS! And Sunday, July 26, 2009
THE IRISH ARE COMING! THE IRISH ARE COMING!)

Accompanied by TLW (The Little Woman), Toots II (Lois, I hope I can Cope with DelBloggolo), and another buddy Pat (The Patron Saint of Foxwoods Points) from the Wanna-Be Bank and Trust Co., and her husband Bill, we set off to watch the fun.

Once on the bus, Pat immediately canvassed the whole bus, including the bus driver and tour guide, if we had our cameras. After taking the census, she realized she forgot hers! Lois, showing fine form, took her seat, and no one dared to sit next to her, as she stared them down with a commuter’s “Unless you’re here for to purchase a certificate of deposit at 2.5%, don’t you dare sit here, and make ME uncomfortable” look, the kind I used to employ when I rode the Long Island Railroad. (Great job, Lois!)

Meanwhile, TLW was busily interrogating me on one of my past blogues, which had not been published. The only one who looked like he could survive was Pat’s husband, Bill, who kept a low profile, never looked directly into the ladies eyes, and feigned sleep to avoid getting into trouble. It must have work: he got there unscathed!

The day was extremely uncomfortable, as one traffic jam after another slowed our progress to the fest, and the heat and humidity up in the mountains made it unpleasant to get around. It seems that whenever I go to crowded places on hot, humid days, there is always loud blasting music, and here was no exception.

The highlights of the day were; a round trip on the ski lift for four of us. Only one of us would not go up, since she was afraid of heights, (we all have our phobias) and that was TLW. The other highlight was the march of 1,000 bag pipers down the mountain side! It was an incredible sight to see, and enjoy.


The food was a mixed bag of international cuisine, including, Italian (of course), German, Greek and middle eastern. I think they sold Irish soda bread for $10.00 a loaf, but that was it.

In all my life, I never saw that many Jet fans as I did that day! Then it clicked on why: they like the color green!

The drive up the mountain was incredible! The spectacular scenery was priceless to look at, and held everyone’s attention that was on the bus!

But drive home! One traffic jam after another was evident; as we crawled all the way home, until we hit the LIE, which was wide open. Leaving the festival at 7:30 PM, the estimated time of arrival was supposed to be 10:30 PM, but didn’t occur until past 12:30 AM! Instead of ‘good nights,’ it was ‘good mornings!’

I must say, we did enjoy the company; everyone was a pleasure to travel with and kid with. Bill has a nice sense of humor for a married man, and the girls were all terrific, except for TLW, she wouldn’t buy me a balloon!


Some Guinness, some bratwurst, and some laughter were the parts of my day, I will remember with great pleasure.

So, top 'o the morn to ya, lads and lassies, and bejesus be good!

View my new post!
I decided to put my novel up as a preview! Please comment if you like. Go to: http://deliterature.blogspot.com/
This is the first chapter from my book, Tolik's Odyssey.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Let me get this straight...bumper-to-bumper traffic, heat and humidity AND 1,000 bagpipers??? Sounds like Dante's seventh circle of Hell. Thank God for the Guinness, and God bless the Irish.