Saturday, August 29, 2009

THE SISTERHOOD

What can you get a guy who has 4 sisters? A bottle of aspirin would help.

ONLY KIDDING!

Maybe. Actually, you can’t get him much: he has it all! It’s kind of like having a guardian angel, times 4! My sisters happened to be beautiful, not only in looks, but: inside where it matters most.

As we grew up, bickering and fighting, and planning how to torture and kill each other, we were actually bonding! Yes, that’s right, bonding.

“Mom, he’s looking at me, tell him to stop”
“Mom, he’s breathing, make him to stop.”
“Mom, he said a bad word!”
“Mom, why did you have him?”
“I’m telling mommy on you!”
“I gotcha last!”
“MAAAAAAAAAA!”

These are all words and sentences that I can recall them using, building blocks for a lasting foundation of love and respect that has withstood the test of time.

There were wonderful ‘incidents’ that mirror the love, for instance:
Removing my dinner plate with my pork chop still on it, because one of them had a date that night, and she couldn’t go anywhere until she did the dishes!

Or perhaps the night one decided to snoop around in my room after coming home from a date, thinking I wasn’t home. All the while, I was hiding under my bed, waiting for her to pull something, jumping out and scaring the living hell out of her. (One of my personal triumphs, that I celebrate every year!)

Of course, who could ever forget the time we all went to a wake for an old man we knew. I went down to the basement to have a cigarette, and the four of them followed me down. As we sat there, I put out the cigarette and decided to do a little exploring. I came across a door and led them in, only to find a room filled with coffins! Did you ever hear four women or girls scream in close quarters. These incidents come to mind immediately, but there are other tender moments.

Mom was sure to take their side.
Dear Mom had these standard responses for me.

“J O S E P H!”
“ STOP!”
“Leave your sister alone!”
“Wait ‘til your father comes home.”
“Where’s my wooden spoon?”
“Oh, wait, wait ‘til you have children, just wait.”

I think that last one was particularly mean!

Halloween was a particularly important day for the covenant of 4 sisters! It was one day I stayed away from the house. No sense making 4 witches turn on you all at once. No siree, you lied low, and waited for them to finish flying overhead, before making any moves.

But today, when I see them all together, it is fun and special. As I enter the building, looking at all those old brooms leaning against the wall, brings a tear or two to my eyes.

Please remember my brother-in-law, John, who is a closet Placido Domingo, and no one will unlock the door for him, and all those that need our hopes and prayers.

4 comments:

Fran said...

Oh the stuff Mom put up with! It is a good thing that those 4 witches turned out so angelic!!! Thank God, there isn't the need to call for help from Mom anymore.
Love you,
Witch # 2
Fran

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Oh I LOVE that photo! It's great! no offense to your sisters. I was outnumbered by brothers, but being that i was the oldest, I had dibbs on teasing and tormention!

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Yes, they did turn out angelic!

Anonymous said...

Good answer Joe!

Love,
Sister #3