Wednesday, September 30, 2009

ALL THAT BEER…

And not a drop to drink!

We arrived early for the southeast regional conference of the board of governors for NYSARC, Inc. It being the preliminary meeting for the annual fall convention, we looked for bathrooms and coffee first, then decided to work the building, exploring.

My two fellow board members, Jim and Ken, had driven up with me to Suffern, NY for the meeting, and after my driving, I figure Jim, who sat up front, will have nightmares for a while.

Anyway, as we walked by the hiking and mountain climbing exhibit that was setting up, we walked further and what do we find? An exhibition on beer bottling! All kinds of beer cans, and bottles were being set up for display. The display dating back to the early part of the last century included both domestic and international brews. Tap handles, coasters and openers were all on display. All that but no beer to drink!

As we perused the displays, we came to a room off the side of the display area, where the curtain was drawn back, and one could see beer bottles of all kinds lined up on the sill, and a table behind the glass window. In the room also stood a bed, and a chair with a woman reading a newspaper in the chair. I looked at Ken and asked: I wonder what she is selling? Ken of course, cracked up.

But to finish our day, as we viewed the exhibit, I called out to Jim that he needed to conduct an emergency spelling class, since he is a retired high school English teacher. Both Ken and I spotted a box with bottles on the floor, the box labeled: “Domestic and Faraen”! I guess spelling was foreign, or is that faraen?

No comments: