Monday, September 21, 2009

SHE MAY BE DOPEY, BUT SHE’S MY DOPEY!



The other day I was reading a book (no, no one was helping with the words!) As I sat reading, a sudden low rumble began to generate near my patio door. Being engrossed as I was, I was making notes for my next novel; I didn’t pay any attention to the noise.

The noise began to grow louder, and I realized that Happy, my cocker spaniel was making the noise. I knew she didn’t hear anything, because she is deaf. She could use a hearing aid, as opposed to me who needs a hairing aid. Looking up, I see that she is facing the door, towards the pool! I figured it was a squirrel near the fence, and went back to my book.

Suddenly, Happy became agitated, and started barking loudly, while looking at me to see what was wrong.

Me: “What’s the matter Lassie, did that stupid kid Timmy fall in the well again?”

I get up and look out toward the pool. No animals in sight, but there is a big yellow foil balloon floating around the pool. The wind is gently moving the thing from one end of the pool to the other. As it floated it spun around, and a happy face is printed on one side. Whenever the face appeared, Happy went into a rage!

When Happy was younger, a similar event occurred. I was in my studio one day, and someone had given me a large 30” x 40” poster of a clown’s face, in color on a very shiny expensive stock. When Happy saw the poster of the clown’s face, she high tailed it out of there, so fast, I wished we had named her ‘Flash’!

Happy is happy when she is not shown anything happy.

No comments: