Saturday, October 10, 2009

CHICKENS COME HOME TO ROOST

The Scrabble battle did not end in one night. A vengeful DelBloggolo was determined to regain his and his High School’s honor!

The next night the battle lines were drawn. I was taking a deep measure of TLW (The Little Woman), scoring big words and equally big points. The insults were etched deeply in my mind, the offender sat across from me, and she was on the run! Desperately she contemplated each move, wiggling and squirming as she did. I had her on the run! No longer were the tiles going down so quickly, with so much deliberate purpose, to embed upon me a sense of doom. Instead, I was doing the mental torture, playing with her head. The echoes of her pronouncements about where she went to high school bounced in my mind.

We were reaching down to the final tiles! I had a seven-letter word that spelled: doom for TLW. Leading by 30 points, This would give me 14 going out with all seven letters!

I triumphantly put down my seven tiles. I had nailed the game.

Or had I?

After much thinking, TLW lays down a 10 point ‘Z’ over a triple word score, and finishes the word with ‘ed’. 32 points! Enough to overtake my lead!

Once again, I hear the strains of my doom.

“You are going to want to go to the dictionary on this.”

She places down her three stupid tiles.

“WHAT THE HELL IS ZED??!!

“It means the last letter of the alphabet.”

“Who’s alphabet, AND WHO THE HELL SAYS: ZED?”

Off we go to the dictionary.

Once again, she pulls the fat out of the fire! However, there was one little technicality! I get 50 points plus, for going out with all seven tiles!

I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN!I WIN! I WIN!

Bellport High School is avenged!

Don't mess with a Bellport boy, sister!

No comments: