Friday, October 30, 2009

THERE’S GOT TO BE A MORNING AFTER


And there was, as I drove down the street to go to work. Actually, I was driving to the train station in Ronkonkoma, New York. As I drove with my neighbor Bob, we noticed what looked like a dummy on the side of the road. Being how it was the day after Halloween, we figured it was a left over from the night before, some trick-or-treater playing games.

Something told me to stop and back it up to investigate. Pulling along side the wooded area where we say what we thought was a dummy turned out to be a man, laying for what looked like a few hours in the wet weeds from the night before.

There was a woolen peaked cap covering salt and pepper hair. On closer investigation, it was a real man! He must have had a heart attack on his way home from work or on the way to work.

I drove back home since cell phones were not invented yet and called the police. We drove back out to the body and waited for the Suffolk County Police to arrive. Finally, the squad car comes and then and second one.

“Alright” says one policeman to another after questioning us, “put some tape around the scene like they do on TV.”

“Like they do on TV!” Did I hear that right? So, like they do on TV, they put some tape around the scene.

I wonder if they went out after that to get a donut, or went to a commercial?

No comments: