Friday, October 02, 2009

WHERE DID SHE COME FROM?


The other night, I sat with TLW (The Little Woman) at the dinner table. We were discussing the upcoming Class of ’64 graduating class of dear old Bellport High
School. I mentioned that I invited the committee to our home to further discuss plans for the event next Memorial Day weekend.

As the discussion wore on, I invited TLW to join in the meeting, since I value what she brings to discussions and plans. Graciously accepting, she did hint about a worry she had, that she would be drawn into doing some of the legwork. After all, she mentioned that she was a graduate of another school. I assured her it is only to pick her brain, since she would have good ideas and a calming influence on my enthusiasm.

Suddenly, I was sitting with a female Don Rickles, as she busted my chops, giving me the business about her school versus mine! Responding was impossible, since I was laughing so hard. She mentioned having to take a test to gain entrance into her school, while mine was public, that apparently I wasn’t smart enough because I would have to pass a test to go to her school. There were other zingers, which had me on the floor.

After she went back into serious mode, I realized how far TLW has come since she went back to work. She works with the general public now, has been for over ten years, and enjoys it. It also gave her a lot of self-confidence! At my expense!

It seems now that where I used to dominate conversations, or was told to relate some funny incident, she now does. To think: she was once quiet, shy and reserved!

No comments: