Tuesday, November 03, 2009

EATING THE NIGHT AWAY.


It was the 49th Candlelight Ball, a formal and very festive occasion celebrated every year about this time. This year was also the 60th Anniversary of the agency’s existence. With very little time, I prepared a Power Point presentation, for the event, depicting the history in words and pictures. I had a few pages of narration to read along with two of my Board of Director buddies, Ken Walker (The mattress tester), and Jim McEnaney (Jim McMeany as he is known in Albany). I was dreading the occasion; I really didn’t want to go! All the hard work I put into it, and I felt it sucked!

TLW (The Little Woman), tried to encourage me, but promised that she would pull the car up at the entrance, with the motor running and the door opened, in case the crowd got unruly. Then I would bolt for the exit and make a clean getaway.

My guess is the alcohol consumption was extreme, and the people who viewed it did not care, since no one threw anything! In fact, there was a smattering of applauds, my sister Joanne, and her husband, Saint Don, our guest, applaud loud. I think Ken and Jim reading saved my hide.

The food was a lot, and fantastic! We ate all evening: the cocktail hour alone was a full course meal! It was so much food: I could hardly eat the dinner! My sister Joanne, and Saint Don (Sainthood for marrying into the family!) seemed to enjoy themselves. I was great to have them as our guest.

The lovely TLW and #4 Sister both looked lovely as usual, and TLW won a man’s bracelet at the end of the night. A live band, a great cause, and great company, plus I got out of there alive! On only five Jack Daniel Manhattans!

2 comments:

Corinne said...

A beautiful picture of two beautiful people!
tiger

Unknown said...

Thanks for inviting us Joe. It was an inspiring evening and lots of fun! The powerpoint presentation was definitely the highlight of the evening!!