Sunday, November 01, 2009

IF THINGS GET WORSE IN THIS ECONOMY…

I’ll have to walk.

Not because the money is bad, but the roads are. It seems every road I take lately, is on the mend. Large orange and white constructions cones line the major ways and by-ways, crowding cars to one side or another, leaving me with little room to drive erratically. Even the small neighborhood roads are clogged with big road equipment that seems to threaten the power lines.

It is so bad that my street has been closed off, and detour signs are everywhere. I went to the mall to buy a pair of shoes, and the roads to the mall were all lined with cones! These look like projects that will last for years, since I see the cones, I don’t see the workers. Are they working inside the cones? Where are they?

If the economy is so bad, where is the money to do these projects coming from? Those little buggers from the highway department ought to come out form under those cones and get back to work. I must admit they do appear from time to time. For instance, I was in a hurry to get somewhere, so they got all their heavy equipment, and started to work, backing into the traffic, holding me up. Then the genius with the red flag that directs traffic, lets the other direction go first, then we move, and just as I come to the flag, he steps in front of me to stop me, and let the other direction go again.

One night I was cooking supper, decided I needed onions (I like onions) so I ‘run’ to the store. I should have literally run. I get to the corner, and there is only room for one car to pass, from the other side! I wait, and just as the last car comes by, an earth-digging machine backs into my lane, holding me up. I almost burned the dinner.

One more little observation, they should NOT strew those cones so carelessly, it’s hard to know where the cones make a path sometimes!

No comments: