Monday, November 16, 2009

ITS THAT TIME OF THE YEAR, AGAIN!


With Thanksgiving around the corner, Christmas and the holidays are not far behind. What does that mean? It means that yours truly will now become paranoid. I will spend my nights dreaming that it is Christmas morning, and I forgot to get TLW (The Little Woman) a gift! I will feel terrible, and then the dream will evolve into my being in some public place in my underwear!

If I shop way head of the holidays, I have the fear of forgetting where I hid her presents! I dream some more. Yes, it doesn’t stop, does it?

Then of course, as an artist, I like to make her a handmade Christmas card (now on the computer) that expresses my sentiments to her on that day. I do this because: Why should I pay someone for a packaged sentiment, when I am creative enough to do it myself. The fact that I am saving $3 to $7 is beside the point. That means I need time to come up with an idea, a sentiment in prose, and getting it done.

As we get older (I get older, TLW gets wiser), it becomes harder to find a decent present for her. She has all the jewelry in the world, over the years. Her birthstone is covered in everything including her fillings, so what do I get her? She buys clothing all year long for work.

Originality becomes difficult as one ages: I’ve seen it all, heard it all, and done it all!

I walk into a mall and say to myself: “Hey, let’s be original in there! No cop out, something original.”

This year we bought each other a flat screen TV for the bedroom. It is “Our present to each other for Christmas” as she likes to say. Right. I’m going to take her upstairs and say in front of the TV she’s been watching since the spring: “Merry Christmas!” or maybe: “Surprise! Hope you like it?” How about: I couldn’t think of a thing to get you, so I settled on a half of a flat screen TV to match your side. I’m so glad I got the correct side!”

Of course, she will take it very gracefully, not say a word, and will refrain from profanity (at least out loud), and I will feel like a jerk.

No, this year I will search until all I will be left with is the snap shot of what I did buy, and the thought of will she hate it. (The snap shot will be to see if she uses it within the next six months, something so I remember what I got her!)

3 comments:

Corinne said...

For some reason I think "TLW" would be happy with anything you gave her...including your heart!!!
Corinne

Anonymous said...

Have you considered a spa gift certificate? It's something many women want but would not spend the money on themselves. Good luck.

SS-I-L

Anonymous said...

P.S.
And if she doesn't like it, I'll be glad to take it off your hands so it doesn't go to waste.

SS-I-L