Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I’VE OFTEN WONDERED “WHY?”


I’m sure you all know someone who has gone through college for two or four or more years, and is about to lose a job, may have lost a job or is very worried about job security, I know I do. Then I read in the papers and media about these huge contracts that are awarded to dolts who know how to hit, run, throw or tackle! I think, “WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY?”

My Polish Brother-in-law Tom, author of the famous Polish song; roughly translated “Buy Me A Pork Chop” sent me the following. noted:

“I think I have seen this before, but its worth another read”

Subject: WHY ATHLETES CAN'T HAVE REGULAR JOBS...

While Chinese and Indian kids excel in math, science and languages, we invest millions of dollars in athletic scholarships. Below is a brief list showing the fruits of these investments:

1. Chicago Cubs outfielder Andre Dawson on being a role model: "I wan' all dem kids to do what I do, to look up to me. I wan' all the kids to copulate me."

2. New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season: "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."

3. And, upon hearing Joe Jacobi of the 'Skin's say: "I'd run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl," Matt Millen of the Raiders said: "To win, I'd run over Joe's Mom, too."

4. Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins: "He treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings.."

5. Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann:
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

6. Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh: "I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes." (Now that is beautiful).

7. Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach: "You guys line up alphabetically by height.." And, "You guys pair up in groups of three, and then line up in a circle."

8. Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson going to prison: "Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton."

9. Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker: "That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes."

10. Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regime of heavyweight Andrew Golota: "He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning, regardless of what time it is."

11. Chuck Nevitt , North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice: "My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt." (I wonder if his IQ ever hit room temperature in January)

12. Frank Layden , Utah Jazz president, on a former player: "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'"

13. Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D: "Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject."

14. In the words of NC State great Charles Shackelford I can go to my left or right, I am amphibious.

15. Amarillo High School and Oiler coach Bum Phillips when asked by Bob Costas why he takes his wife on all the road trips, Phillips responded: "Because she is too damn ugly to kiss good-bye."

"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary."

-Vince Lombardi

I don’t have any answers.

4 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Got my day off with a laugh Joe, thanks. The term "scholar-athlete" is becoming an oxymoron. It's all part of a bigger problem... the shift in what we as a society value. A guy who can throw touchdowns or hit 60 homers, even if his life off the field is a mess, is more celebrated than a scientist or mathematecian. We are in a downward "dumb" spiral that shows no signs of slowing.

Anonymous said...

As an educator, it is very frustrating to try to motivate students in all grades to work hard at learning and to delay gratification long enough to complete high school, trade school, or college. Getting an education today, working hard and trying to make a difference in this world of ours is just not as glamorous as being an overpaid athlete or other celebrity.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree with my step-father. Until we as Americans stop shelling out $250 to bring our families to ball games, players will continue to get huge contracts. Until we stop watching on TV, players will continue to get huge contracts. Unfortunately, we don't stop -- and I'm as guilty of this as anyone.

I think Actors/Actresses are worse. $20 million dollars to make some piece of crap film?! Yet, we continue to pay big bucks to see movies. And if we don't see them in the theaters, we rent them. I work in the industry and can tell you half of these people can't read or write. But they look pretty. That;s all that matters.

-#1 Son

Laura ESL Teacher said...

I agree with all of the above! We can't get enough people to become nurses or teachers because these are not glamorous careers, and they require hard work, as do many professions. Nobody should be paid millions of dollars to play a game or act in a movie.