Thursday, November 12, 2009

MY MAN MICHAEL


Whenever I call the agency about board business that requires promoting it, I always call my man Michael. Michael is what every company should have, a dedicated ‘go to’ guy, that knows his stuff, and is dedicated to not only his job, but those he really serves: people with developmental and physical disabilities.

The trouble is, I can never reach him on the phone! He is never there. Where is he? Running down a photo, doing a quick photo shoot in some far-flung building that belongs to the agency, or maybe interviewing someone. When he isn’t doing that, he is writing copy or working on the web site.

Happily married to a beautiful wife, and the father of two beautiful children,
Michael has over the years given me more assistance than I care to remember, because I would be here all week trying to stop remembering. Everything he does, he does cheerfully, thinks it through, and thrives on criticism, being how his ego is miniscule. I feel he thinks that he can grow with criticisms, and it makes him better professionally. That is the case; I’ve witnessed it all too often. Mike is a fine wine, aging with professionalism, and always bettering himself for the good of the agency.

If you walk through the halls of the administration building, often you will find the people that we serve, going about. Michael greets them like long lost friends, like they are his children. They in turn recognize him and love him back: they all know Mike.

You’ve heard me go on about the Candlelight Ball. Michael was the underlining secret of its success. Mike laid the groundwork for a great slide presentation with his research, writing and help. Michael should be listed as an asset.

Michael, if no parent or sibling has said it yet, let me be the first. Thank you, not only from me and TLW (The Little Woman), my daughter, and the board of directors, but all those you serve, the parents and siblings and their love-ones. I bet I speak for the staff as well.

No comments: