Tuesday, December 08, 2009

MR. GEIGER, I PRESUME?

When I started out to organize and bring together classmates for my high school reunion, I was revved up in anticipation of seeing many of them. After all: it had been at least 30 years since I saw them all. All but for the exception of one, my old buddy Ken Geiger, who I had seen about 10 years ago. We happened to connect by chance once again when my car broke down, while working at PCH in Port Washington.

I needed a ride for a few days back and forth to work, and although the company was willing to lend me a car, I felt uncomfortable doing that. By luck, a young lady who worked in another department stepped forward. Since she lived in my neighborhood, it would be easy. As we commuted together, we talked and mention of where I went to high school came up, she said her uncle went to my school, and I discovered it was Ken Geiger!

Reaching for the phone, I called Ken, and we met for lunch a number of times. He worked in New Hyde Park, and I worked in Port Washington, so it was easy enough! Then I left PCH and we lost touch once again. I tried to reach him to no avail.

Fast forward to October of this year, the reunion committee meets at my home and the lovely Carole Patanjo tells me she heard that Ken had passed on. I was saddened, and wished I had kept in touch. Then this past Thanksgiving, my mother sees me and gives me her church bulletin, where there is a memorial mass for a Ken Geiger. Ken was a nice guy, never caused anyone a problem, and was liked by all. We used to shoot pool in my basement after school, and would call each other by our mother’s first name. He was Elsie, and they called me Tessie, because no one knew my mother’s name. They found my aunt listed in the phone book!

Then, out of the blue the wonderful biker and committee member, Pat Thatcher announces on our class blog: http://bhsclassof64.blogspot.com/, that she contacted Ken and will get his address. She then follows that up with a phone message with his email address!

One thing I truly regret is not having kept up with my classmates over the years. When something like what happens with Ken Geiger occurs, you realize the older you get, the harder it will be, especially in some cases.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.