Saturday, December 05, 2009

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

The white bus pulled into the parking lot, as I sat staring out the waiting room window of the doctor’s office. I was waiting for my daughter to arrive for an evaluation of her medications. I decided to go out and help whoever was taking Ellen to the visit from her day program. Before I could get to the door, a day-care worker entered and greeted me. We exchanged pleasantries and I proceeded to help her retrieve Ellen.

On the bus, I noticed an elderly gentleman, sitting and looking a little agitated. I greeted him and helped get Ellen off the bus. The elderly man who’s name is Gary, just sat there with the driver. He would wait for Ellen to see the doctor first.

After Ellen’s visit, I sat with her on the bus as Gary went to see the doctor. I had a pleasant conversation with the driver, and talked to Ellen as best I could. After a while, with the beat of the steady downpour and the grayness of the day, Gary appears from the front door of the office. As he walks, he is screaming: “NOOOOOOO!” I get up to help get Gary back on the bus. “NOOOOOOO!” Once again, Gary was voicing disdain about things in general! As He comes closer to me again: “NOOOOOOO!” Holding on to his walker, he slowly inches toward me and comes to the curb to step down. “NOOOOOOO!” Gary is relentless in his opinion. “NOOOOOOO!” “NOOOOOOO!” I hold Gary by his arm and ask “You want to go home?” He looks at me and says: “Yes.”

I start to laugh to myself as he begins again: “NOOOOOOO!”

But Gary wasn’t done with me. No siree, as he steps down with my help, he blurts out: “F*%#” (The ‘f’ word!)

The day-care woman’s eyes popped out of her head and she says: “EXCUUUUUSE ME! Gary, we don’t use that kind of language!”

“NOOOOOOO!”

No comments: