Thursday, December 24, 2009

THAT ONE TIME OF THE YEAR


It is only one time, and I wait for it 364 days a year. It is Christmas Eve, the special day that defines who I am and where I come from. It is the day that I spend laughing, eating and enjoying. I enjoy not only the food, but: the people that gather that evening before Christmas and celebrate life.

It seems to be almost magical, when I enter my sister’s home, smelling the fish sauce made from lobster, the different fish dishes assembled, and I bring my stuffed shrimp with crab meat. Usually, at least three of my four beautiful sisters are present, but not always. Family commitments sometimes take one or two of them away. Funny how in spite of that, they seem to be there!

Mom is now 91, and started the whole tradition when my grandmother could no longer carry it on. Dad loved the holiday, and was always there in his plaid shirt, making it feel good to be home again.

Sometimes we’d have guests. Maybe a future in-law, maybe a friend from school or work, maybe it was a stranger. Anyone was welcomed, and we were always happy to make him or her join in the laughter and good times.

I know that someday, this tradition may die away. We may no longer for whatever reason, be able to celebrate Christmas Eve as we do, but the memories will linger.

I hope your Christmas Eve is filled with only good memories, Merry Christmas from: TLW (The Little Woman), my daughter Ellen, #1 Son Anthony and #2 Son Michael, and me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

May you all have a blessed and wonderful Christmas...I'm glad I met you and yes Christmas Eve is the time for we who have Italian traditions come alive. God Bless all of you...Corinne & Douglas

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Thank you Corinne. I know I have enjoyed those hours we met on the bus and in Cape May, and that we are friends! Have a great holiday to you and Doug.
Joe and Ellen (TLW) and the boys

Jim Pantaleno said...

"Buon Natale e Nuovo Anno Felice"

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Ed a voi e la vostra famiglia, Buon Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what the other guy said....
SS-I-L