Monday, January 18, 2010

OVER A MONTH


And still no computer!

Between the holidays, the fact that it is an Apple computer, and the news that it took the hackers a week to diagnose the problem, send it out to California, wait another seven business days for the part, get the part and find out it was the wrong one, reorder it, and have Apple send it overnight, but it gets shipped by land, another seven days, and now the problem of it over-heating, I am ready to kill!

My biggest worry is the computer is an old system, with no Intel in it like the newer Apples, means that if I need to buy a new one, I need new programs also. The newer Intel versions don’t read the old programs. This is another way for Apple to make money.

I also have folders for; old novel, new novel, a book I am designing for the NY College of Podiatric Medicine, my class reunion, AHRC work, DelBloggolo, Ellen’s Way Blog and fundraising for the church committees, all the files may have to be recreated!

No good deed goes unpunished.

I have had some sleepless nights worrying about the whole thing. Come hell or high water, I will get things done, be sure of that. My mood is quickly becoming sour, and my disposition slightly unsweetened!

I guess I have to be patient. I call the hackers, and they say they need to do it right: they don’t want to release and it not work. It makes sense; I’ve gone this far, so if I pull it, I will probably have to wait even longer.

God! Maybe in the next life, I’ll become a computer wizard.

2 comments:

Steve Philp said...

A brand new Intel Mac can run your old software, no problem. A library called Rosetta will do it (and it's built into the OS, so no extra money for that).

If the hard drive on the old machine is still readable, you can connect it to the new machine and even have the new one transfer all your settings / documents / apps over. It's good stuff and works pretty well!

That said, I do hope they get your machine fixed up soon. A month without my "baby" would be torture!

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Thanks Steve, I'll see what happens.