Tuesday, January 12, 2010

SOMETIMES IT IS SO HUMLING!

It was Christmas morning, as I sat in my recliner and watched my kids open their presents. It is the tradition of Christmas morning that the youngest opens their presents first, then up the pecking order until the oldest gets to open his.

This Christmas morning was no different, and now it was my turn to open my present from #2 Son, Mike.

“When I saw it, I thought of you right away, Dad!” exclaimed #2 son. It was to be a monument to my generosity? Maybe a tribute to my being so wise was being unwrapped by me? Perhaps a testimony to my kindness as a father lay under the wrapping paper.

As I dug through the paper, #1 Son Anthony and TLW (The Little Woman) watched closely, as I fumbled with the tape and paper offering from #2 Son.

It was about the size of a large hamburger patty, but its shape suggested something else! My curiosity was now holding me hostage, my hands trying to interpret the shape and meaning of the gift.

#2 Son once again repeated himself: “When I saw it, I thought of you right away, Dad!”
I was becoming excited, almost overjoyed by the thoughtfulness of a gift from #2 son.

Finally, I pried the paper wrapping loose, freeing the mysterious gift from its jacket of holiday cheer. There it was! Its odd shape fit nicely in my hand, and I must say: I was surprised by the originality and sentiment! “Good gosh!” I thought, “Is this what #2 Son thinks of me?” I was indeed humbled,

#2 Son had managed to combine my two favorite habits into one statement! A Sudoku Book shaped like the cover of a toilet seat!

No comments: