Monday, January 11, 2010

WHY ARE THE DAYS SO GREY?

Recently my best friend Phil called me with some bad news. He said that his lovely wife Linda was diagnosed with breast cancer. It shook me up, so I know it really shook him up. His pain is my pain, we’ve been friends since 1965, and you do the math.

Linda went for some tests and they discovered her cancer was a little deeper than they originally thought. They hoped it wasn’t invasive, but discovered otherwise!

I called Linda the other day and spoke to her. She had just gotten back from the doctor, the report on her situation, and she said that she was about to call an oncologist and to start scheduling radiation treatment. I assured her, that I was there for her, as was TLW (The Little Woman). She sounded like her spirits were high, that she was, as she said: “Lucky so far” and that she felt that her luck would hold out.

Linda is a great mom, a great wife, and a great friend. She thinks of herself as a wife of Phil, my friend, when she is a friend of mine, too. Yes, she is humble. She has been very supportive of Phil, and I know she will continue to do so, in spite of her own troubles.

Why do women have to have this terrible thing? They are such noble creatures that bring nothing but beauty and good sense to this world. Yet, men mistreat them, and God gives them the burdens of childbirth and the ugliness of breast and cervix cancer! They sometimes raise their children with great sacrifice. They take second place to their husbands in some cases, and never complain. They work and worry from dawn to sunset, and go unappreciated sometimes. They are expected to be cheerful, yet bear the burdens of the family. Their children call for them when there is trouble, not their fathers, and they are always on the forefront, protecting their children fearlessly, if not ferociously.

If women ran the world, this would be a better place, without a doubt. I can make jokes about women, and let’s face it, all men do, but we all know in our hearts, we would miss them terribly if they ever left us.

Please pray for my friend Linda, and continue to pray for my brother-in-law, John, and all those that suffer from cancer.

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Oh Joe, that sucks! I'm so sorry to hear this. Linda is such a sweet and loving woman. She will be remembered in my prayers.